Monday, June 8, 2009

Lost in Translation - Warsaw, Poland...

Cześć!!! Or as in English I would say hello!

Our second stop on our European Adventure was to see the capital of Poland. During World War II Warsaw was practiaclly destroyed. Since then however they have rebuilt their city so much so you never would have guessed.

The main part we stayed at was the Old Town area. This section of Warsaw was actually remade to look exactly as it did pre war based on paintings. However, the restaurant selections I'm sure have changed because besides having polish style options I'm pretty sure I saw a Subway and a Pizza Hut!



Did I mention that Poland was quite chilly. When we first arrived we were completly unaware of the weather that awaited us. We stopped to grab a hot chocolate at a cute Irish pub in the Old Town Center sqare. It cost us 14 zloteys each. Any guesses how much that is in USD? Well I'll let you figure it out on your own.

One of the first sites you'll see as you enter into Old Town!



Oh and did I mention Warsaw was one of the first places I had to pay to use the public restroom. I've been informed it probably won't be the last.


Warsaw had such a cute and fun character to it! The fresh markets and overflowing arrangements of flowers (not to mention the really cute polish guys carrying the flowers) was just so refreshing. I can't wait to see what else Europe has to offer us!!

Annika and I did have an intesting experience trying to find our hostel here in Warsaw. We ended up walking close to 3 hours full backpacks and everything. It was also very confusing because not as many people spoke English (at least that way my experience) as in Berlin and the prononciation of the words are completly unlike you would think. There was no sounding it out to be had! But successfuly after a little frustration and a whole lot of steps we made it. I don't think I have ever been so excited to take off my shoes and take a long nap! :)

Well off to bed....
XOXO

No comments: